A Happy Discovery

Since we had found all those mangoes from last weeks dumpster diving adventure, I decided we should make a smoothie.  I peeled and chopped up all the mangoes - 2 went into the blender, and the rest into the freezer for future smoothies.


We also put about a banana and a half in the blender. (frozen from long ago when Aldi's had a big table of very ripe bananas on sale for like 10cents a pound)  Here Trinity is juicing some apples and a couple carrots for our liquid.  The girls love to help make smoothies.


The mango smoothies were delicious!  Got me wanting more fresh stuff.  So the next day we made carrot/apple juice with 1/2 lemon squeezed in.  We juiced the carrots first and as I watched the gorgeous carrot pulp coming out into our discard bowl, I had an idea.  I had just tried out a muffin recipe earlier this week using up some old bananas in the fridge to make banana nut muffins.  I thought, heck...why not use the carrot pulp and make carrot muffins?

So that is what I did.  I added the carrot pulp (from 7 carrots) raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chopped walnuts to the basic muffin recipe from  The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.


Hubby says these are the best muffins I ever made.  Wow!  Guess I'll be making them again!
I also decided to use up some of the Rice Krispies that we have since the kids are not big fans of it as a cereal  to eat.  This is a vegan Krispies treat.  Here is the recipe:

1 cup pancake syrup (recipes generally call for corn syrup, but this was in my pantry from the food bank and is mostly corn syrup - worked just fine)
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
8 cups Rice Krispies type cereal

Heat the first 3 ingredients together in a large pot until combined.  Stir in chocolate powder.  Remove from heat and stir in cereal until thoroughly coated.  Spread in 9x13 pan and put in refrigerator to cool and set the treats.


Then, enjoy these delicious, chocolatey, peanut buttery, not good for you but oh, so delicious treats!


Follow up note:  Having had my awakening about the serious issue with our food supply here in America, I can not leave this recipe without adding my two cents.  First, I wouldn't ever make these again for my kids.  There isn't any way to make this healthy.  Yes, you could use real maple syrup, raw nut butter and organic cane sugar to make it healthier.  But you still are using Rice Krispies cereal and there is nothing healthy about those.  Better to just make some raw chocolate treats (click on raw chocolate in the topic cloud) and get your kids off the high sugar/processed foods.


3 comments:

  1. So cute !!! I have the same juicer. Or had? I hope I still have it. My kitchen is too small to keep out juicers etc. So I tend to be lazy and make blender drinks instead.

    Mangos sounds so good right now.

     
  2. pancake syrup is the devil! next time, use agave syrup, please. it will do my heart good to know you are not eating an adulterated "foodstuff" such as aunt jemima or log cabin. and you mixed it with good raw chocolate--talk about unequally yoked! sacrilege.

     
  3. No worries, Miss Synida. All the garbage food that we were given from the food pantry has been removed from ours. Only pure 100% Maple syrup for the family now. :) But you bring up a good point. I need to edit this post to reflect using better ingredients!
    Blessings!
    Amy

     

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones