With a Peep Peep Here and a Peep Peep There...

With the arrival of warmer weather, a.k.a. spring, it was time to get chicks.  I found a farm via craigslist that had Buff Orpingtons available as either day old or 2 wk old chicks.  I wanted Buff Orpingtons because they are a good dual purpose bird, which means they are good at laying eggs and they produce good meat birds.  Add to that the fact that they are a friendly breed and good brooders and they are my first choice for a chicken flock.  Our last flock was a combo of the Buff Orpingtons and Silver laced Wyandottes.  We were not fond of Randy the Wyandotte rooster other than as jambalaya.  I am hoping the Orpington roosters are more friendly, especially knowing us from tiny chick to adult.

Anyway, we drove to Gladbrook Iowa yesterday, about 1 1/2 hours north, and picked up our order of 25 two week old chicks.  We actually got 26 as he threw in an extra one with our order.  The girls LOVE these little critters and had to hold one the whole way home in the car, fighting off sleep to keep cuddling their new treasures.


Here are the chicks in their brooder.  I couldn't find my small waterer out in the barn, but an ice cube tray is working out very well.



It has worked out well that I had tore off the drywall and left up the studs.  It gives me a place to hook on our heat lamps for the brooder.


The chicks trying to sleep.


The girls got up at 3am last night and came down to see the chicks.  I got up and explained that it was the middle of the night and they had to go back to bed.  They obediently went back to bed. (fortunately!)  Then this morning, Trinity was the first one up.  The first words out of her mouth to me were, "Now can I hold a chick?"


Angelina got up a little later and asked, "Mom, is it morning now?"  I told her yes.  "Can I hold a baby chick now?"  Again, I told her yes.  "I need to get a towel so it doesn't poop on me."  Ah, yes.  They learn quickly. :)
.




1 comments:

  1. how cute.

     

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones