Cookbook for Kids

I think it was on Rawmoms that I saw one of the moms has created a cookbook for kids.  I thought that was a great idea.  But what I find with most cookbooks is that you only do a handful of recipes out of them and the rest just don't suit your family or tastes.  So rather than invest in a cookbook I figure I will create one with the kids.  We will only put in recipes that the kids love and that are easy enough for them to make. (or at least do most of it themselves!)  I make the recipe with the kids, taking pictures of the various steps so that the cookbook will have pictures as well as written instructions on how to make each recipe.

Here is the first recipe that will be going in our kid cookbook.  The idea behind this one comes from the chocolate syrup recipe from "Raw: The Uncookbook" by Juliano.  He combines maple syrup, EVOO, and carob.  I used to spread raw almond butter on pieces of banana, then drizzle with the chocolate sauce.  Here is our new creation - nutty chocolate sauce.


Ingredients: Raw almond butter, Raw Chocolate Powder, 100% Pure Maple Syrup



Measure 1 cup of maple syrup into jar.



Stir in 1 Tbs raw chocolate


and 2 Tbs of raw almond butter.


Drizzle over banana slices and try to keep your kids fingers out of this yummy food!


I have also done this starting with the raw almond butter and adding raw chocolate and maple syrup until it makes a creamy fudge dip.  Goes great with bananas, strawberries, and apple slices.




5 comments:

  1. Yum!

    I see that you too buy your mighty jugs of maple syrup from Costco. ;) I use maple syrup in place of traditional sugar in my recipes whenever possible, but it is sooo bloody expensive by comparison!

     
  2. yummy, yummy, yummy, this stuff is my FAVE! i LUUUUV me some carob or raw chocolate-almond butter "fudge sauce" on bananas! MMMMMMMMM this one also goes way back to our single chick roomie days. i remember you selling this to me as a nutella alternative. i was a fast fan! still am. i have since expanded the recipe to make "raw walnut brownies" and "chocolate balls". also have used agave syrup which makes for a sort of "gummy" texture. the amazingly healthful COCONUT OIL is also a great addition. (you can use it instead of the almond butter.)

     
  3. I will have to try coconut oil. I just bought a gallon of organic virgin coconut oil because of all the great things I have read about it. I have yet to use it in any raw recipe though. David always makes home fries for breakfast on the weekends and since using the coconut oil, they taste incredible! I have to stay away from them b/c they are so good you can't stop eating!

    Blessings!
    Amy

     
  4. Michelle - I don't know how I would survive without Costco! Maple syrup, frozen berries, bananas, organic spinach and greens, organic carrots, medjool dates, avocados to die for... the list could go on. :)

    Blessings!
    Amy

     
  5. coconut oil also doubles as my miracle beauty product (hair, skin, then treat your insides and eat some!) sea salt makes a GREAT scrub (my skin is soooo soft after), and i have trying honey after the scrub as a hydrater. let you knw how that goes--havent been doing it long and dont do it often (shame on me!) read about it in a natural beauty article, and then, again, saw it on tv when a "celebrity beauty expert: suggested it if you cant afford HER products. i thought that was pretty honest! soo cool--we can give ourselves masks, and then eat them off for a snack and health boost! (yes, that's a joke.)

     

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones